Monday, July 15, 2013

And the journey begins!

Saturday July 13th, 2013
Most Saturday mornings start off with a walk to the park or maybe even a little doggie scratching at her cage (ready to go potty), this morning was very different.  Tommy's family and I headed to the airport at 4am and I had no idea what my trip would entail when my day began.  I was/ I am excited to see where Tommy and his family are from and even more importantly to meet more of their family.  If I could take away one thing from today (and trust me I've learned much more than just one thing) it would be that Tommy and I need to continue to travel. The plan would be to get outside of ourselves and to learn about another culture at least once a year.  As the day has continued from car, plane, taxi and now bus I have seen the environment continue to change.  In the beginning the differences were small and somehow I have ended my day only able to communicate with Tommy's family. Every location or mode of transportation has a new/nerve racking experience.

In the car- Sammy took us to the airport (Lucy was in the back). Definitely our most comfortable environment.
In the airport- about to board the plane to Mexico, I quickly realize the language exchange was
already starting (all announcements were in Spanish and English).
In the taxi-  Mexican drivers make me look good, some might even say I am a safe driver. As soon as we were dropped off at the bus stop, I quickly realized I was the minority. Unable to communicate and taking in lots of open stares.  I quickly asked questions about things I might need help with (como se dice wheat en Espanol?)  trust me this made ordering lunch quite interesting.
And the last mode of transportation was the bus-  this was probably the 2nd most comfortable environment (movies in English with Spanish subtitles to watch the whole way there) but I am quickly reminded at security and while dropping off my bag that I have little to no way to communicate.

I can already see that in one day Tommy has become a whole new level of companion (and never less then the best at that).  Never would I have guessed to see/experience so much just in the first day. This makes me excited to see what tomorrow brings as we go to celebrate the passing of Tommy's father (5 years ago) with some of his relatives.

Wish me luck or maybe an open positive mind and a Spanish dialect/accent.

Love, Megs

**disclaimer: all typed on Tommy's cell phone sorry for mis-spelling and weird formatting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have fun Meg! That is exactly how I felt in Argentina with Zeke's family but it is so awesome to see the culture their family is from you, you will learn so much! Enjoy!!

Background